the original charter for mount st. mary's college was granted on february 27, 1830 as an act for founding a college and seminary of learning near emmitsburg in frederick county. it was founded to be “continued forever upon a most liberal plan, for the benefit of youth of every religious denomination, who shall be admitted to equal privileges and advantages of education, and to all the literary honors of the college . . .” and “. . . for the general advancement of useful knowledge, science, and virtue.”
the mount assumed its present system of governance in 1968, when a self-perpetuating board of trustees replaced the governing priests’ council. the board was vested with corporate ownership of the mount, and comprises both lay and clerical membership. in 2004 the board of trustees adopted a resolution to change the designation from mount saint mary’s college and seminary to mount st. mary’s university, inc.meet the board of trustees
the university cabinet is composed of senior level administrators who advise the president and oversee various university operations. although these individuals directly report to the president, they serve together with the president, trustees and academic leadership to develop and implement strategic plans.
see our full directory.see more
our strategic plan is a living and dynamic document that serves as the framework and context for implementing our vision for the university in support of our mission. this plan provides a guide for our annual work and resource allocation, and serves as a basis for accountability.learn more