nearly seven out of 10 students live on campus in traditional residence halls, suite style housing, apartments or our university cottages. housing is guaranteed for all four years.
in every residence hall room you will find an xl twin bed, desk with a chair, dresser, and a wardrobe or closet. in some rooms bed may be bunked to ensure space and comfort for the residents. our traditional halls have community-style bathrooms that are regularly maintained by university staff. students in our residence halls also have the added support of our friendly and welcoming resident assistant student staff members
visit our virtual tour to find your residence hall on the map.virtual tour
pangborn hall is home to nearly 150 first-year students.
dedicated on october 15, 1955, by archbishop keough, pangborn hall was built as campus enrollment rose after wwii navy v-5 and v-12 programs left. the building is named after thomas w. and john c. pangborn of the pangborn construction company in pittsburgh, pa. the building was the first residence hall to incorporate a chapel located at the north end of the building. the south end of the hall includes a replica of the pangborn corporate offices, which is now home to the ilead office and the pangborn memorial room.
sheridan hall is home to nearly 150 first-year students.
sheridan hall opened in 1962 and was built after the navy barracks were removed from campus. the current location of sheridan housed the married navy personnel and their families while they were stationed at the mount. after the navy left there was no need for the structure and a true residence hall was constructed. the building is named after msgr. sheridan who was a member of the class of 1871, seminary class of 1921 and the president of the school from 1937-1961. msgr. sheridan was instrumental in guiding the mount through the great depression and wwii. he also played a key role in instituting the navy v-5 and v-12 program, which kept the mount afloat as enrollment dropped due to wwii. during msgr. sheridan’s time as president, he oversaw the building of memorial gym, first annex to the seminary, pangborn hall, the phillips library, and sheridan hall. msgr. sheridan is also the first inductee into the mount st. mary’s sports hall of fame and the first to be publicly inaugurated as president.
once the original university building, the terrace is three residence halls in one. almost every student at the mount lives in the terrace at one point or another — it can house over 400 students. first-year, sophomore, junior and senior students live here. the terrace also includes kane chapel, several study and programming lounges, and a 24-hour workout cardio room.
brute hall is currently home to nearly 150 students and is equipped with an elevator.
the cornerstone for doric hall, now called brute hall, was laid in 1843. it was built for $9,500 dollars. originally, this part of the terrace was used as a study hall. however, around 1897 the open porches that connected dubois and brute were closed in with stone and the study hall became the library. what is currently known as a and b deck served as the library until 1960 when phillips library was built. the first college degrees were granted in 1832. for years, there was no place for a commencement service to be held. when brute hall was built it served as the college commencement hall and was first used to graduate 5 students in 1844. in 1908 the college council officially named the building brute hall. fr. brute had joined fr. dubois at the mount in 1812 and served at the grotto helping to create the paths that are still used. fr. brute also served on the faculty and as a school administrator.
mccaffrey hall is home to approximately 170 students and is equipped with an elevator.
mccaffrey hall was built on the site of the original all-purpose building. the original building was a log structure that was demolished in 1844. although construction of mccaffrey hall began in 1852, the building was not dedicated and used until january 11, 1858. mccaffrey was originally two stories high and housed the college refectory until 1962. in 1962 the cogan student union building was built; now known as patriot hall, the mcgowan center, and cogan hall. the building was originally only two stories due to a shortage in funds related to the civil war and so that more attention could be dedicated towards the gothic style church that was intended to extend from the immaculate conception chapel down to the current location of patriot hall. money ran short on such a large project and construction was never completed. the leftover stone was used to build flynn hall. in 1897 the third and fourth floors of mccaffrey hall were completed and the rooms were considered to be the first deluxe housing found on campus. the building was named after the 7th president (1838-1872), fr. mccaffrey. during his presidency, he oversaw the construction of brute, mccaffrey, and purcell halls, and led the college through the very turbulent times of the civil war and the battle of gettysburg that occurred very close to campus.
dubois hall is home to nearly 100 students.
dubois hall was technically the first dormitory on campus; it was constructed in 1808 as an all-purpose building, which housed the president and faculty along with the students. fr. john dubois began construction on the first residence hall and classroom in 1824. the original hall was built where purcell hall is currently located. shortly after being built, due to deficiencies in construction, the building burned down. after this, construction began on a much safer and more adequate building that currently stands today. it was dedicated on december 16, 1825. throughout the rest of the century the building housed the seminary until 1907 when mcsweeny hall was built. the cupola at the top of dubois held the original college bell. the clock, a gift from fr. mcsweeny, was not installed until 1888. the building was officially recognized as dubois hall in 1908, when the college council approved the names for all current residence halls found in the terrace. it is named after founder, fr. dubois, the first mount president and later the first resident bishop of the new york diocese.
students residing in bradley hall live on the fourth floor of this administration building. faculty and staff share this unique space during the day, which gives students a direct link to the professors and administrators that they work with while they attend the mount. this hall is home to mainly freshman female students living in 2-person rooms or singles. this building is equipped with an elevator.
home to about 32 students, the annex suites offer another housing option for upperclassmen. each suite has a private bathroom and living area, as well as air conditioning.
in 2008, powell hall is a 170-student air conditioned suite-style residence hall with one elevator and a laundry room on each floor. most suites are equipped with a living room and a private bathroom.
the most recent addition to the mount's on-campus residence options, this group of four cottages each has 10 single rooms with two shared bathrooms and a shared kitchen and living area. amenities include onsite parking and laundry, air conditioning, ceiling fans and a small porch with adirondack chairs.
the alumni house is a university-owned house that is designated for upperclassmen in the summit illc.
the graduate house is a university-owned, split-level property located on east campus near the pnc sports complex.
female graduate students reside on the second and third floors with their own entrance, kitchen, bathroom, living room and laundry facility to share among other female residents. male graduate students reside on the first floor with their own entrance, kitchen, bathroom, living room and laundry facility to share among the other male residents. the placement of female and male students is subject to change each year, based on interest and availability. on-campus housing is available on a first-come, first-served basis to full-time graduate students on the mount's emmitsburg campus.
the cost for living on campus is subject to change each year and can be found in the university tuition and fees.
if you are interested in applying for graduate housing please call 301-447-5274.
the university apartments are home to many junior and senior upperclass students. each apartment includes a full kitchen, living room, private bathroom, and air conditioning.
the mount is located in emmitsburg, a town with a population of around 3,000, located in frederick county maryland just south of the mason-dixon line. founded in 1785 by william emmit, the town is home to mount st. mary's university and the national shrine grotto of our lady of lourdes, the basilica and national shrine of elizabeth ann seton and the national emergency training center (fema emergency management institute).
rental units and housing styles in emmitsburg varies, students may choose to search the town website for more details about rentals in the area.
emmitsburg, marylandlearn more
in each of our integrated learning living communities, your floor mates are also your classmates. you will share the same faculty adviser and take at least one course each semester with other members of your community. the illcs are designed for you to explore mutual connections, and interact with your peers and faculty members around topics related to your themed community.
the honors illc provides gifted first-year students the opportunity to live in a residence hall as a close-knit peer group pursuing shared goals and interests. the cohort of illc students will not only take their honors classes together but will also engage with faculty in co-curricular activities and lectures that complement their course work. this unique dynamic learning experience will take advantage of many of the region’s many resources, such as the library of congress, theaters and museums, and historical sites.
the core: human values illc is an interdisciplinary community with an emphasis of understanding the connections between disciplines, how narratives develop, and the ways in which important human values intersect with diverse cultures and experiences. residents of this community will work with faculty advisors to develop a farm in the emmitsburg area.
the faith and learning illc is rooted in the christian tradition, committed to growing in faith and helping enliven the faith life of the campus community. the faith and learning illc residents will build a community of faith to foster spiritual growth and to live the faith enhanced by the integration of the core curriculum. students in this illc will participate in a service project in the fall and an off-campus retreat in the spring.